Come learn the basics of Wilderness First Aid (WFA) at our beautiful basecamp located on the side of Brisco Mountain, north of Radium Hot Springs BC.
This is a two-day intensive course that covers essential principles and skills necessary for backcountry and isolated situations and is taught by professional instructors from Wilderness Medical Associates who have been setting the standard in wilderness medicine for over 30 years.
Who’s it for: Outdoor enthusiasts on day trips or short adventures.
Course structure: Come prepared to spend a good portion of your day in the great outdoors. This course is largely held outside in real conditions with an emphasis on hands-on activities as opposed to long lectures.
Certification: Upon successful completion, you will be certified in WFA and Adult CPR. Certifications are valid for 3 years at which point you should retake the WFA course or upgrade to Wilderness Advanced First Aid or Wilderness First Responder.
Prerequisites: You must be at least 16 years old to take this course. Students who are under the age of 19 require the written consent of a parent or guardian.
What’s included: All instruction plus a Wilderness First Aid Guide, SOAP Notebook, and The Outward Bound Wilderness First-Aid Handbook.
What’s not included: Meals/snacks and accommodations. Accommodations are available for an additional fee at the Back 40 basecamp. Check out our Hike N Sleep page for details and contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org for bookings!
What do you need to bring: A complete list will be emailed to you prior to the start of the course. Here’s a short list in the meantime:
- 2 face masks with storage container
- Eye protection (optional)
- Lunch, snacks & water
- Day pack
- Clothing for all weather conditions
- Notebook & pens
- Something to sit or lie on outside such as a thermarest
- More than 30 days from the start of the course – full refund of course fee less $50 admin fee.
- Less than 30 days but more than 14 days before the start of the course – 50% of course fee. If we can fill your space we’ll refund you the other 50% less a $50 admin fee.
- 14 days or less before start of course – no refund. If we can fill your spot we’ll refund you 100% less a $50 admin fee.
- Cancellations due to Covid-related issue – we will credit you a spot in a future course, or refund you if we can fill your space.
- If course is cancelled by Back 40 – 100% refund.
Covid Protocols: This course will abide by Covid guidelines and regulations as set out by the province of BC. Check our Terms, Conditions & Covid page for more info.